Friday, 04 November 2016
Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
The following statement was released by Mr. Nizar Zakka’s attorney in the United States, Mr. Jason Poblete on the continued unlawful detention of the US Legal Permanent Resident as he celebrates another birthday in Evin Prison.
Today also marks the aniversary of the 1979 hostage taking and seizure of the US Embassy in Tehran. As Mr. Poblete states,
“37 years ago today students chanting “Death to America” acting on orders of radical Iranian clerics took 52 Americans hostage at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran. The ordeal would last 444 days and would mark the beginning of the regime’s war against “the Great Satan” and its people.
“The regime has not changed its ways. It continues to use innocent civilians such as Mr. Nizar Zakka to exact political and economic concessions from the United States and other nations.”
Mr. Poblete continues to urge the United States government and other responsible parties to take immediate action to secure his unconditional release on humanitarian grounds.
To read the above press release in Arabic, go here.
Prior Statements and Related Information:
- UPDATE 1- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka, Unconditional Release on Humanitarian Grounds Urged
- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka, Unconditional Release on Humanitarian Grounds Urged
- U.S. Congress Approves Measure Banning Ransom Payments for US Hostages Held in Iran
- U.S. Legal Permanent Resident/ICT Professional Sentenced by the Iranian Regime to 10 Years in Evin Prison, Fined Millions
- U.S. LPR/ICT Professional Held Hostage for a Year by Iran
- Amnesty International: Jailed IT Expert Denied Medical Care
- Is Iran Raising The Stakes For Releasing American Hostages?